26 June 2013

bmw no more

image source
Summer is really, truly here in the UAE. And I, for one, do not like it. It’s soooooo hot! As in scorching and sweltering hot! Yesterday, the temperature reached 42 degrees, and I’m sure that as the days pass by, it will get higher. For the past few mornings, as soon as I get out of the shower and wipe myself off, I already start to sweat. Kadiri, I know, pero ganon talaga ka-grabe.

When the summer began sneaking in to the country, whenever I would have to walk, I would use an umbrella to shield me from the rays. But on Sunday when it became unbearable and I felt my hair sticking at the back of my neck because of the sweat, I decided that I couldn’t take it anymore. It would be crazy to spend even a few minutes under the blazing sun, so I was forced to cut short my commute to the office.

Before, I could easily and comfortably ride the bus, take the metro (which doesn’t cost a thing in my case because it’s only one station after I get down from the bus), and then walk 400 meters from the station to the office. This entire trip would cost me Dhs2.30. But now, after getting down from the bus, I take a taxi to the office; costing me an additional Dhs10. So not only do I have to pay so much more, I keep the calories that I could have lost through walking. Kainis! And to think, it just recently started so I still have about 4 to 5 months to endure. Augh!

I’m already considering adjusting my schedule so that I can ride with Hubby when he leaves for work in the morning. This way, I can leave the office earlier (that is, if my bosses don’t have any last minute urgent requests). However, I will still have to walk the same distance from the office to the metro; and from the looks of it, the sun and temperature at 4pm seems to be the same as the sun and temperature at 8:45am. So parang wala lang din.

The thing is, ten dirhams is just too much to spend for a short distance ride, but I don’t want my health to suffer because I chose to endure the summer heat and burn a few calories.  So what other options do I have?  Any suggestions?

By the way, in case you haven’t figured it out yet, BMW means Bus, Metro, Walk =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts