16 April 2011

the archers shoot down the eagles!

Hubby, Caila and I, together with our friends Ces and Pia, enjoyed a ringside view of the action yesterday. It was so exciting! The scores were very close. Now I have an idea how intense it feels to watch a UAAP game between the two rivals. But, I’m getting ahead of myself, so let me start from the beginning...

I had invited Ces to come with us because I know she’s into basketball; Pia, being a fellow Green Archer, asked if she could tag along because she also wanted to watch the game. By 4:30pm, we were at Al Ahli Sports Club where we bought the tickets for the ringside seats, and settled ourselves behind the commentators table (or whatever you call it), near the area where the DLSU team would be.

While we were waiting for the game to start, 2 local Filipino schools were playing (FEPS and NFPS). During this time, we saw some players sitting or standing in the ringside watching the game. Of course, even though we didn’t know who they were, Ces, Pia and I rushed over to where they were to take photos with them. The first player we had a picture with was an Atenean (who we later found out was Kiefer Ravena). All of them were really nice and didn’t mind having their pictures taken so many times. I didn’t know who Simon Atkins was before, but when Ces pointed him out to me, I found out ang gwapo nya pala! As soon as we saw him, we rushed to take photos with him right away.

Anyway, finally, it was time for the game, but not before the national anthems of the UAE and Philippines were sung and the teams were called out. The first shot was by the Blue Eagles, and it was 3 points! But luckily the Green Archers were able to get over their shock and managed to get 12 points before Ateneo added to their first score.

As the game went on, the scores were almost always neck and neck. I kept cheering for my alma mater almost all throughout the game. It was really intense! Even Caila would shriek and shout “Go ball!” Finally, when the horn signaled the end of the 4th quarter, the scores on the board confirmed that the La Sallians were the winners: 62-58. Hurraaaaaaaayyyyy!!!!

Naturally, all the fans immediately ran on to the court to have photos and get autographs of their favorite players and the coaches (including us) and I made sure to carry Caila with me so that she could share the excitement.

It was exhilarating! Let’s just hope that even though this is just an exhibition/pre-season match, the Archers will continue (or exceed) their winning form in the UAAP Games this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts