24 November 2011

food-days

This week has been full of food! And almost everything is related to the office, so it’s not as if I could avoid eating. What the heck! I’m just using work as an excuse to pig out. But, seriously, I really don’t think anyone could resist all the tasty chow that tempted me almost every day.

Sunday. When the guests arrived at our office for the business meeting, they brought sweets from Japan. There were 2 boxes for the staff, and 3 smaller boxes especially for me (because of the several requests they ask me to do). All of these I took home for my family. Fortunately the contents were individually wrapped so we didn’t have to finish everything as soon as we opened the packages. In the evening after the meeting, we enjoyed a lavish buffet of Indian and Arabic food (salads, viands, and desserts). That’s in addition to the coffee breaks we had where we enjoyed small sandwiches and yummy pastries.
Monday. The second day of the business meeting, so again there were coffee breaks of pastries and little sandwiches (same as the day before), and a buffet lunch of delicious food and sweet desserts.
Tuesday. After lunch, one of the big bosses from Japan suddenly craved for something sweet so he asked our driver to buy 3 dozen Krispy Kreme doughnuts for him and everyone at the office. Before 5pm, our Deputy General Manager told me and my colleague to take the 12 doughnuts that were left, which we shyly accepted and took home to our families.
Wednesday. The only day where the food I had was nothing out of the ordinary.
Thursday. Another buffet! This time it was held at our building lobby in celebration of the upcoming UAE National Day which was free for all tenants. My colleagues and I enjoyed the food which was a mix of breakfast items, Asian, Indian and Arabic cuisines, as well as pastries, breads and all sorts of fruits. Except for the UAE flag cake, I didn’t take any photos of the food because there were so many people swarming around and it would be just too embarrassing.
There were also some mascots there with whom we had photos with; someone told us that these mascots are characters from Arabic cartoons that are usually shown during Ramadan. Anyway, it was a good thing I didn’t bring my lunch today because I’m so full from everything I ate!

Whew! Looking back, it seems I’ve been a glutton practically every day this week…and it also means I’ve put on more weight and inches around my waist. Yikes! I dread the thought of stepping on that scale. On the other hand, I can't complain. This doesn't happen every day of the year, and there are so many hungry people in the world. And considering today is Thanksgiving Day, well, I'll just be grateful and give thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts