19 October 2014

Ube Crinkles

Christmas season is fast approaching and one of the gifts commonly given and received (especially in the Philippines) are crinkles. Whether ordered or made with love, you can never go wrong because these goodies are absolutely delicious.

Crinkles first came in chocolate, but now there are also red velvet and, as you can guess from this post's title, ube flavors.

Although I never made chocolate crinkles before, I wanted my first attempt to be the ube ones. It made me curious kasi because it just wasn't common. And upon seeing the recipe from Bake Happy, I was relieved to see that they weren't difficult to make either. 

The hard part was finding the ube essence or flavoring here in Dubai because the Filipino supermarkets rarely have it.  Fortunately when we went to Wow Pinoy a few weeks ago, they had just restocked, so I immediately hoarded around 5 bottles of their McCormick ube flavor.

Once I had all the ingredients ready, I started making the purple-colored crinkles which were practically gone almost as soon as I had put them on our table for my taste-testers (i.e. family) to try.
Here's how you can make these yummy ube crinkles that my eldest just couldn't get enough of:

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup ube jam
1 teaspoon ube flavoring
Powdered sugar

How to Make Them:
1) Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
2) In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. 
3) Beat in the egg.
4) Mix in the ube jam and flavoring.
5) Add the flour mixture and mix.
6) Cover the bowl and chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
7) Preheat oven to 350 degrees farenheit.
8) Line a cookie sheet with baking paper.
9 Roll the dough into balls (I use a tablespoon to measure), coat with powdered sugar and place on cookie sheet.
10) Bake for 7 minutes. They may come out soft, but that's fine. Keeping them in the oven longer will result to "cakey" and dry crinkles.

This recipe makes about 2 dozen crinkles, depending on the size.

And there you have it. Ube flavored crinkles that you and your friends will love.

As a matter of fact, Mama requested me to make some today. Partly because my sister will be fetching her today, and mostly for her own consumption. I guess I'd better make a move on it then =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts