10 March 2013

jellies and the jigsaw

The other evening, Hubby and I were invited to try the buffet dinner at Jigsaw Restaurant in Movenpick Hotel Deira. Since we didn’t want to go home after work and then leave the kids again, we decided to pass away the time at Deira City Centre.

As we were strolling around, we came upon Shoe Mart and I suddenly remembered that I needed a new pair of sandals, so into the shop we went. I saw a nice pair of jewelled Fit Flops, but they were out of my budget. Then I saw some jelly sandals that were studded with Swarovski-like crystals, and I instantly knew I had to buy a pair. I remember wearing jellies when I was a kid, and they were so comfortable! It was good to see them back in fashion again. Anyway, it took me some time to buy the sandals that night because I was stuck in choosing which color to get. Finally, I decided to go for the safest option: black.

Right after paying, we realized that it was almost 7pm already, so Hubby and I quickly rushed to the parking area, boarded Pepper, and went on our way to the hotel. Unfortunately, being in Deira, the traffic was terrible, so I called the person we were going to meet to tell her that we were going to be late. Luckily, she understood, and by 7:25pm, we were in the lobby of Movenpick Hotel Deira.

Ok, let’s go straight to the food. I have to say that I was a bit disappointed that the selection was a bit limited. There was the typical salad bar, bread corner, main food, and dessert area...but the variety wasn’t much. For the main food, they had one beef, one chicken, one fish, one pasta, one rice, one soup...well, one of each, basically. I didn’t try the beef because it was Wednesday, and I didn’t try the rice either. The fish was a bit bland so I had to squeeze a slice of lemon on it. The soup and pasta were pretty good. But I especially liked the chicken because it was really tasty. Unfortunately, I can’t remember the names of all the viands, nor did I take pictures. As for the dessert, again, there wasn’t much. The chocolate mousse (or was it a chocolate crème brulee?) tasted like chocolate Cerelac that had been finely mixed, and the eggless chocolate cake was dry and hard. The only dessert I liked was the lemon tart. It wasn’t sour at all, and within minutes, I finished the whole slice that I took.

Considering the hotel is 5 star, the food at Jigsaw Restaurant was really disappointing. However, I’m guessing that the limited selection and not-so-flavorful dishes is due to the fact that it was a weeknight. I sure hope their Friday brunch offers better...although I’m not planning on trying it anytime soon.  But then again, it was a free dinner, so I can't really complain.

Make sure to join my birthday giveaway!  The book is packed with loads of tips on how to handle your money wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts