02 June 2015

Current Status: Confused

source
Picture this: There are 2 events happening on the same day, at practically the same time.

One event is a regular monthly activity; but since your office just recently started having all Saturdays off, this will be the first time after a long time you’ll attend. Plus, this time will be a bit different than usual because it’s centred on Father’s Day, so there will be something special prepared by the kids for their dads.

The other is a one-time event that’s expected to be full of fun and learnings, and will be held at a place where you and your kid are guaranteed to enjoy immensely. You were actually referred by someone which is how you received the invitation, and if you turn this down, this will probably be the 2nd or 3rd time you’ve done so. Syempre, nakakahiya. No, erase that. It would be very, extremely embarrassing to the highest level!

Which is why I'm so confused right now.

The thing is I really, really, REALLY want to attend the one-time event. Aside from the fact that we will get to have an amazing time, invitations like this don’t come often, and it would be a great chance for me to widen my circle and hopefully bring in more opportunities such as these.

On the other hand, I already committed to the regular monthly activity. As soon as it was officially announced at work that we’ll be off on all Saturdays of the year, I happily announced it to everyone in our Kids for Christ group. Actually, being a KFC Coordinator, it’s my responsibility to commit to these activities. Valid reasons that can excuse coordinators from attending are work, being out of the country for vacation, sickness, and helping their kids study for exams. Other personal reasons are acceptable, but as much as possible, we do our best to limit them. Considering majority of the kids regularly attend these activities, it’s only fair that we reciprocate their consistent presence, right?

The simple fact that their parents would rather have them spend a few hours of that one Saturday each month to learn more about God and good values than let them stay in bed, play games on their tablet, watch TV, or go to the mall is enough to know that we’re doing the right thing, which pushes us to make each activity memorable, and to continue doing what we do.

This is purely voluntary and we don’t get paid a single dirham for what we do, but just seeing the enthusiasm in the young kids’ faces before, during, and after each activity is enough.

And since the upcoming activity will be a tribute to the daddies for their special day, I’m pretty sure Hubby would be disappointed if Caila wasn’t there to participate and make something for him. I know he would understand if we opted to go to the other event, but he’d still be sad if we skipped this  month's KFC activity.

Augh!

If it were a regular activity that didn’t require so many of us to help, I would choose the other event in a heartbeat.

But it’s not. And I’m sad.

Because as much as I REALLY want to accept the invitation and confirm my attendance, after reading through what I’ve just typed, deep in my heart and mind I know that the right thing to do is commit to the KFC activity.

I just hope the person who gave my name will understand. Again. And she won’t get tired of referring me to events like these.

Haaaaay!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts