Here are the steps we followed:
1) Gather the requirements:
• Passport and visa copy
• Emirates ID copy
• Valid Driving Licence copy
• 2 Passport-size Photographs
• Completed application form (you can download a copy here)
2) Go to an RTA Customer Service Centre.
We went to the one at Al Twar Centre in Al Ghussais which is conveniently open until 7:30pm during weekdays. There were hardly any customers when we arrived (around 6pm), so we were served less than a minute after we took our number from the machine.
3) Submit your documents, show your original UAE Driving Licence, and pay Dhs150.
4) Within minutes, you will receive a receipt and the International Driving Permit which is a small navy blue booklet with your photograph attached and stamped, and your details written. This is valid for 1 year.
Now you can drive in almost any country in the world that you’re planning to visit. Just make sure to familiarize yourself with the country’s traffic rules and regulations before going behind the wheel.