09 February 2014

sophie in the hospital

I’m back again! I’m sorry for the silent treatment on this blog lately. But again I have a valid reason: my youngest was confined in the hospital for 2 days last week and I was indisposed from Thursday until Saturday.

Yeah, I know. Too much sickness in less than a week!

I’ll tell you all about what happened to me in a separate post, but first let me share what happened to Sophie.

So I took Thursday afternoon off just as I planned, then took her to see her paediatrician for her 3pm appointment. The doctor said that it was most probably a viral infection in addition to her teething, but instructed me to have her blood sample taken to be sure. She also told me to continue some of the meds that she had prescribed previously.

Fast forward to Saturday afternoon, Hubby went to collect the results while I was at work. However, when he met with the doctor, she told him that the reports showed a bacterial infection and Sophie needed to be admitted in the hospital for 2 to 3 days so that they could give her the antibiotics (through IV) and monitor her condition properly. I suddenly felt weak when Hubby called me to tell me this. I couldn’t concentrate on work anymore, and I was almost in tears as I explained the situation to my manager, telling him that I needed to go on leave for 3 days. Again, he understood, and let me leave work early so that Hubby could fetch me.

That evening, the three of us (Hubby, me and Sophie) headed to the hospital. As Hubby parked the car, Sophie and I went to the nurse’s desk, told them that Sophie was going to be admitted, and after a while, the nurse led us to a Semi-Private Room, which fortunately was going to be occupied only by us.

Soon after, a couple of nurses came to attach the cannula into Sophie’s hand. I honestly thought she would cry out, but she just made a small “Ow!” when she felt the needle prick, and after that, she just stared at her hand as the nurses got to work to cover it.

The time came when she had to be given the antibiotic (through the tube). She was sitting on Hubby’s lap and he was holding her hand to make sure she wouldn’t move too much, when he noticed that it seemed to be dripping. We immediately alerted the nurses who had to remove the entire cover and fix everything again, which most probably forced the needle to move around Sophie’s vein. As Sophie was sitting there, I kept stroking her hair and softly whispered “It’s ok, anak. You’re very brave. Don’t worry, Mommy and Daddy are here,” over and over. Amazingly, she didn’t cry at all! Her eyes would just shift between the nurses and her hand without any sign of pain! The nurses were so amazed at how high Sophie’s tolerance for pain was, because even they told me that what they had done was painful. Wow! 
my brave baby
After that, the next couple of nights and days were a mix of medicines, crying, nappy-changing, nebulizers, eating, preparing milk, drinking, washing, etc, etc. Well, you get the picture.

On the first night, Sophie woke up at 1am and couldn’t sleep until 4am. In between, we would walk in the corridors, watch her video clips on Tisay, feed on some biscuits, and listen to her favourite music on my mobile phone. On the second night, she woke up at 12 midnight and stayed awake until 3am! Again we did the same things. And on both nights err…early mornings, as soon as I had dozed off, a nurse would come in, poke me in the arm and hand me the nozzle of the nebulizer to hold near Sophie’s nose. Augh! It was a good thing Sophie slept longer and would wake up at around 9 or 9:30am, so I would just go along and sleep as well.

The good thing is, her blood and urine results on the second day had improved and her paediatrician gave us the green signal to go home that night. Whew!

The bad thing is, she has fever again today. I noticed it last night when I leaned over to kiss her goodnight as she was sleeping. Haaaay! I hope it’s just because she’s teething and not a relapse of the bacterial infection. 

Please, God, don’t let it be anything more than teething!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts