We still haven't planned on what we're going to do to celebrate this year, but I didn't want this marriage milestone to pass without us having anything special to remember it by. So I thought and thought, checked the internet, did whatever I needed to do, and sooner than I expected, received this from the Vatican!
It's a Papal Blessing!
Looking at it and knowing how significant it is makes me realize this is much better than spending our money on a party that will only last a day. This is a blessing from Pope Francis! For our marriage! How cool is that?!
And if you'll be celebrating a similar milestone soon, you can get one too because it's soooo easy!
Here are the occasions you can request for parchment Papal Blessings:
• Baptism, First Communion, Confirmation
• Priestly Ordination
• Religious Profession
• Secular Consecration
• Ordinations of Permanent Deacons
• Marriage Anniversaries (10, 25, 40, 50 , 60 years)*, Priestly Ordination, Religious Profession
• Birthdays (18, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100)*
• Catholic individuals* or families* (with name and surname of the spouses united in a religious marriage).
The asterisk (*) indicates the need for the Nihil Obstat or approval of Ecclesiastical Authority.
And here's how we got ours:
1) I downloaded the Request Form here, completed the information, and saved the form.
2) Since it was for our Marriage Anniversary, I had to get the Nihil Obstat of the church where our wedding took place. Fortunately, when I sent an email with the form attached, they replied after a few days with the document stamped and signed by the Parish Priest.
And that's it!
You (or the person/couple/family who will receive this parchment) will be very grateful to get this. It's definitely a blessing that will be treasured.
Of course Hubby and I are going to have ours framed and displayed in our home, because something unique and special as this (and big at 40cm x 32cm!) shouldn't be kept hidden.
As for our renewal of vows with my dream wedding ceremony and reception, I'm still hoping that one day it will become a reality. I guess it can wait until our silver wedding anniversary and our kids can shoulder the expenses ☺